BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP IN CMS
The greatest benefit associated with membership in CMS is the intangible one derived from close interaction with scientists interested in the unique nanomaterials represented by clays and clay minerals. Editor-in-Chief Stucki echoes this in advice to young scientists, “One of the most important elements in the advancement of one’s career in clay science is to belong to a strong network of scientists with common interests. Participants both teach and learn from one another. The CMS is an excellent such network.The Clay Minerals Society for me has fulfilled these purposes in a most satisfying manner because it: (a) publishes a great journal for disseminating scientific ideas and findings, (b) sponsors intellectually stimulating conferences that are large enough but not too large, and (c) is composed of many individuals who are not only well versed in the science, but are so willing to share their time and talents with others.” President Andy Thomas (2008-2009) offers the observation that CMS is a “highly active scientifically rigorous clay mineral society that is ready to share ideas ”. Bailey Award Recipient (2008) Norbert Clauer adds,”I guess the important aspect is to become a member of a community that even though small in size has a large impact on the speciality, and to have the possibility to discuss research with a wide variety of specialists working on the same materials (clays) from very diverse perspectives”.
Tangible Benefits Available To All CMS Members:
- Free subscription to Elements, an international magazine of mineralogy, geochemistry, and petrology, published jointly by 17 geoscience societies, sent automatically to all current members.
- Member rates for Clays and Clay Minerals. C&CM is the preeminent journal in its field, publishing the most recent developments in all aspects of clay materials.
- Full-text, online version of Clays and Clay Minerals through Springer (Cambridge beginning in 2024)
- To access the content, the login process is as follows:
Username = Your Email Address
Password = Your Member ID
- Your Member ID is a 5 or 6 digit code that appears on the mailing label for the journal, on the line above your name. If you do not know what Email Address you have given CMS or your correct Member ID, contact the CMS Dues and Subscriptions Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).register, have your member number handy. The e-mail address you provided us is your user name, and your member number is your password.
Discount Member and student registration rates at the CMS annual meeting, workshop, and field trips. Our meetings are large enough to explore a diverse view of clay science, but small enough to provide many opportunities for stimulating one-on-one discussions.
Online membership directory and dues renewal. Access the directory to check your member profile, change your address, or look up other members. Directory use requires a member name and password . Access the dues renewal system to renew your membership dues each year.
For North American members, a free joint membership in AIPEA, the international clay organization.
Discounts on CMS publications, including the volumes in the CMS Workshop Lecture Series, annual meeting abstract volumes, and special publications.
Member discounts on publications of the Mineralogical Society of America.
Discount on an on line subscription (no paper available) to Clay Minerals, published by the Mineralogical Society of Great Britain and Ireland, available for $40 to CMS members.
Additional Benefits Only For Student Members:
Student Travel Awards up to $1000 to CMS student members to travel to a CMS Annual Meeting to present a research paper or poster.
Student Research Grants up to $3000 to CMS student members to provide partial financial support for research activities.