14–15 October 2021:
58th Annual CMS meeting
International Workshop on Clay Minerals in Healthcare Applications
Renowned experts were among those contributing to diverse aspects on this topic. Discussions ranged from historical aspects linked to the traditional medical and pharmaceutical to the use of clays in gene transfection by association of DNA with certain clay minerals.
The programme was based on two special issues of Clays and Clay Minerals on ‘Clay Minerals in Health Applications’ and ‘Clay Minerals in Healthcare’ to be published in 2021 and 2022 and incorporating contributions by colleagues from Qing Yang Institute for Industrial Minerals, China.
The workshop took place over two days: 14th–15th October.
- Lynda Williams et al.: Evaluating in vivo applications of a natural antibacterial clay to wound infection (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Pilar Aranda & Ruiz-Hitzky et al.: Clay-based bionanocomposite films for wound dressing applications (VIDEO RECORDING)
- M. Saleh, N. Prajapati, A. Karan, N. Rahman, A. Stavitskaya, M. DeCoster, and Y. Lvov*: Halloysite Nanotube Vehicles for Drug Delivery through Brain Endothelial Barrier (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Ana Alcântara & Vera Constantino: Layered clays as versatile nanodevices to drug delivery systems (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Bernard Lopez et al. : Response of mammalian cells to interaction with sepiolite (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Rawil Fakhrullin et al.: Self-assembly of halloysite nanoclay for hair surface engineering (VIDEO RECORDING)
- César Viseras & Alberto Galindo et al.: Clays in cosmetics and personal care products (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Giora Rytwo et al.: Health protection using clay minerals: a case study based on the removal of BPA and BPS from water (VIDEO RECORDING)
At the end of the first day’s scientific proceedings, we had the annual CMS Business Meeting, led by President Jeff Greathouse.
- Goeun Choi, N. Sanoj Rejinold, Huiyan Plao, Geun-Woo Jin and Jin Ho Choy*: Exfoliated anionic clay-niclosamide nanoassembly as repurposed antiviral drug tackling COVID-19：oral formulation with Tween 60/Eudragit S100 (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Jing Yi Liu, Prof. Guo Hua Li*: Study on the toxicity of organically modified montmorillonite in mice
- Chao Peng Fu, Hao Zhang, and Prof. Chun Hui Zhou*: Nanohybrids of metal particles and layer silicate clay for SERS detection
- Prof. Daehwan Park*: Bio-convergence system of layered double hydroxide nano clay (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Nafeesa Khatoon, Ze Fei Zhang, Prof. Mao Quan Chu and Prof. Chun Hui Zhou*: Clay nanoparticles in photodynamic therapy
- Jia Hui Liu, Xi Xi Chen, Prof. Chun Hui Zhou*: Thermodynamic and electrokinetic behaviors of montmorillonite colloid and implications in biotechnology
- Prof. Hailiang Dong*: Clay minerals as antibacterial agents: mechanisms and applications (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Cunjun Li*: Double emulsion stabilized by phosphatidylcholine-kaolinite for co-delivery of curcumin and catechin
- Felycia Edi Soetaredjo*, Shella Permatasari Santoso, Gladdy L. Waworuntu, Prof. Suryadi Ismadji*: Controlled release of doripenem intercalated into Ca-montmorillonite (VIDEO RECORDING)
- Prof. Li Li*: Engineering nanoclay for mucosal vaccine delivery
A formal report of the event will follow presently. Our thanks to all of the presenters and the delegates.